[pp.int.general] Towards a Pirate Policy on Environmental Issues

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue Jul 31 00:12:11 CEST 2012

I only skim this list in digest form, so I cant remember who wrote what, but
please let me suggest a few things in this area.

Firstly, someone suggested Greens are anti-technology. Although a few are,
that is certainly not a majority position. In fact, one of the very early
public adoptions of the Internet was the Green movement, connecting GreenNet
(UK) and EcoNet (USA) with a trans-Atlantic link in the days before a
commercial Internet had taken root (about 1985 from memory but I could look
it up if anyone wants accurate history).

But on to green issues where Pirates might want to have specific policies,
here's a few:

1. Energy consumption of electronic devices. The Internet alone consumes
about 2% of global energy, add to that a plethora of end user devices. In
corporations electricity bills typically can be 30% for data centres and 50%
for desktops etc. There are answers to all of this in terms of relocating
data centres to be near renewable energy sources etc. That at least can be a
sensible policy.

2. Global waste from discarded preliminarily obsolescent computers, phones,
associated batteries etc. This is a huge problem, many of you will have seen
pictures of the computer graveyards where people pick through to recycle
elements, But at all local tips in all countries there is a growing toxicity
problem because of the throwaway culture with electronic devices. Sensible
recycling and disposal, as well as production with longer lifecycles in
mind, are important basic policy element here.

3. Amelia mentioned the rare earths elements central to these devices.
Another area to explore is the environmental issues in rare earth extraction
and production. Currently China provides over 90% of global production, and
environmental controls are sub standard and quite dangerous. Someone will
know more about this than I do but rare earth production needs to be looked
at.

But on the general philosophy of a Pirates platform in this area - I would
favour an approach where a broad philosophical approach on green issues was
adopted. Not only because that would be a progressive approach for a
progressive party, but because pragmatically preferencing and deal-making
with Greens would be productive. It might also encourage Greens to look more
closely at issues the Pirates are promoting.

Ian Peter