[pp.int.general] Internet defense league

Mike Masnick mike at floor64.com
Fri Jun 1 13:05:38 CEST 2012

Thanks Francisco,

I'll chime in briefly on that as well...

Yes, we are hard at work on the followup report, as that RFD shows.  And
while we've been able to collect some data, we have significant gaps in the
country level data which we're working to fill in, if anyone has access to
useful data.

Of particular interest are *consumer spending* trends (i.e., how much of
the public's spending goes towards entertainment and how that's changed
over time -- in the US it has grown 15% over the last decade, but we'd like
to see if that's the same elsewhere).  In the US we found it via the Bureau
of Labor Statistics, and while every country that we're interested in has a
national statistics agency, it's not clear they have this data, or make it
easily accessible.

Separately, more data on the *larger* music industry (not just sale of
recorded music) in the specific European countries mentioned below.  We
have some decent data on the UK and Italy, but others are lacking
(*especially* data on live music).  Finally, any data on the rise of ebooks
and non-traditional publishing in those markets would be really helpful.
 In the global report, we saw that ebooks allowed the non-traditional
market to grow from just about 35k non-traditional/self-published books in
2002 to 2.7 million such books in 2010 (while traditionally published books
grew from 215k to 316k over that same period).  It would be great, though
if we could get more specific country-level breakdowns.

Any help that anyone in the PPs in Europe can provide would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:56 AM, Francisco George <francisco.george at gmail.com