[pp.int.general] Are there "good" and "wrong" Rigths?

Dario i at dario.im
Thu Mar 29 14:26:26 CEST 2012

El 29 de marzo de 2012 13:09, <mattias.bjarnemalm at piratpartiet.se> escribió:

> Personally I have no problem with that, but I am not as naive as to think
> that it will not be perceived as
> counter to the intention of udhr. Especially as long as the pirate movement
> is not strong enough to influence the position of WIPO, who, being an UN
> entity, will most likely be seen as the rightful interpreter of those
> lines.

Personally I don't understand UDHR article as the kind of protection that
we have nowadays. Anyway, let's keep this apart.

>  >
> >> This does not hinder us from supporting HR in general. But we should
> >> always avoid referring to the udhr or any other UN document when
> arguing
> >> for HR.
> >>

> > It is hard to support something without any kind of content about what
> are
> > you supporting :)
>
> I've actually never had a problem doing that. Either you refer to external
> content like the udhr, or you create the content yourself when you need to
> present it.

I don't agree with creating the content by ourselves. Then you are not
supporting HR, you are just making up your own version. HR are one thing,
opinions are another one.

You can have opinions about them, you can have objections about some
article and you can extract your own visions from them, but you are not
able to just create them and say "hey, these are the Real Human Rights,
UN's one just sucks".

Another example: if I write a book and free it under CC-BY, I will be upset
if somebody just take the book, remove my name and put their name and free
it again as is as their own work, without doing any change. Don't I need
any protection in such case? It is not about money. It is about attribution.

I support too a reformed version, as Amelia said, but it must be balanced
or we will never be strong enough to influence nobody or nothing.

I hope my last example make clear what I mean. There are many fine-grained
levels of protection that doesn't end in 1984 or monopolies.

--
Dario Castañé
http://www.dario.im | http://twitter.com/im_dario