[pp.int.general] Research Survey.

Justus Römeth squig at dfpx.de
Wed May 9 13:42:48 CEST 2012

Moin

With the broadening of scope PPDE had some core issues have not been taken
care of as much as they should have been, free software being one of those
topics. The happier I am with the FSF Europe being quite happy with what PP
NRW wrote into their election programme concerning free software (and free
hardware).

However, I do think that there is a big difference between me (as a private
person) using free software, and the public administration using free
software. I think the first is a private decision I have to make weighing
my time-management and other priorities, and for now it is not very
important that other persons have acces to most of my work (in the few
cases that is I am more than willing to provide it in .otd form and so on).
The data an authority creates however should - in most cases - be as open
as possible, and it is not private money they use for buying these things,
but public money. Free software tends to be cheaper in the long run, and
the danger of depending on companies or so is avoided. As a private person,
this is a risk I am aware of, willing to take, and should be allowed to
take. For public administrations, not so much. I wish people on this list
would respect my private decisions more, and focus on what really is
important: Raising these points with the general public, raising the level
of competency the general public has with this kind of software, and
getting public authorities to switch to free software.

Kind regards

-J