[pp.int.general] Opposing austerity

Thomas Burke mrthomasjburke at gmail.com
Thu May 17 10:10:21 CEST 2012

Well I will say this about him. He did drastically cut the numbers
living in poverty in venezuela. There are still many living in poverty
but a lot less than before he came to power. Chavez, and many other
south american leaders, have seen first hand how destyructive a
totally free market system can be. They, for the most part, came to
the conclusion that it cant work.

The problem with saying that they might have the answer we need though
is the fact that they are all seen as extremely radical dictators. For
the most part that is far from being true but that is the general
perception people have thanks to the media. Specifically the US media.

I would recommend this movie for anyone who is a little interested in
Chavez and the situation there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOZIxEH6Pfw

On 17 May 2012 05:23, Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:
> People should see this article about Chavez (in Venezuela) and Tsipras
> (in Greece).
>
> https://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/05/16
>
> Chavez's administration is not a paragon; it has its bad aspects.
> Some opposition candidates have been arbitrarily barred from running
> (though real opposition candidates do run).  Opposition TV stations
> have been closed, though some of them were inculpated in the coup
> attempt.  There continues to be a lot of corruption in Venezuela,
> though Chavez did not create it.
>
> These criticisms of Chavez do not invalidate the point of the article:
> that his economic policies are a better model than the standard
> right-wing model.
>
> The Pirate Parties -- at least in Europe and other countries under the
> banksters' control -- cannot ignore this issue.
>
> --
> Dr Richard Stallman
> President, Free Software Foundation
> 51 Franklin St
> Boston MA 02110
> USA
> www.fsf.org  www.gnu.org
> Skype: No way! That's nonfree (freedom-denying) software.
>  Use Ekiga or an ordinary phone call

which it is addressed and may contain confidential and or privileged
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
material from any computer.