[pp.int.general] Opposing austerity

Charly Pache charly.pache at gmail.com
Thu May 17 11:28:04 CEST 2012

Isn't that a proof that people have more money if they can afford to buy
more guns? :/

I've been there 5 years ago.. the dangerous parts are well known,
especially in Caracas, otherwise it's a quite safe and friendly country,
with wonderful places.

What Chavez did has the effect of more money staying in the country,
instead of going out through many US and european companies, or as interest
for debt to FMI or World Bank. At the time, 20% of the population lives
like we do in 'industrialized' countries (have a car, go to supermarkets,
live in a good flat, go to restaurants, work for SAP ;) ) and 80% have
nothing and struggle for their life into poverty, I saw a lot of people
risking their life to sell things on the highways when the traffic was
dense.

I saw opposition political rallies (from the historical italian community),
they were free to do it, but it's clear the political tension is higher
than it is in Europe.

I really think it's not all because of Chavez, one can't change a society
so quickly.

But I agree they should do more against violence.