[pp.int.general] Don't roast our planet

Jan Lettow janlettow at gmail.com
Sat May 19 13:17:34 CEST 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Charly Pache <charly.pache at gmail.com> wrote:
> About the deaths/serious injuries after a major nuclear incident, i guess
> you should consider the higher number of people who get cancer and die from
> it into the figures. And the population is still contaminated many decades
> after the accident, like in Tshernobyl.

I don't think the dangers of nuclear power are anywhere close to those
of fossil fuels, but I guess there are plenty of think tanks who say
otherwise.

If you care for my source:
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/sustainable/refs/nuclear/Polenp.pdf

> '985,000 deaths as a result of the radioactivity released' [1].

I'd find it largely helpful to you'd also mention the caveat from the
same article, it's there for a reason:
"This report is not peer reviewed nor is it endorsed by the New York
Academy of Sciences.The New York Academy of Sciences also published a
critical review [...]."

> But you're right about the wind energy, i heard that the big companies just
> do it to to make money with public subventions, they don't really care about
> being green or efficient.

I also heard they are vampires ;)