[pp.int.general] Build the enterprise

Scott Elcomb psema4 at gmail.com
Wed May 23 20:08:11 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 5:12 AM, Gareth Nelson <gareth at garethnelson.com> wrote:
> My inner sci-fi geek loves the idea, but the realist in me absolutely hates it

That was my initial reaction as well.  And with the slashdot effect in
progress when I first heard about it, I almost didn't bother looking.

What makes me think it's more than just a playful idea is that BTE-Dan
(not sure what his real name is) has actually put a fairly significant
amount of thought into it.  I certainly don't think it's ready for
implementation.  That said, I do believe a feasibility study would be
worthwhile.

An undertaking like this is (IMHO of course) important for many
reasons - but none so much as because right now all of our eggs are
literally in one basket.  In order to better ensure our species'
survival, we need off-world colonies.

If you haven't read the Funding & Politics section yet, it's worth a
look: <http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/funding-politics>.  I suspect
it really is doable.

Best,
- Scott.