[pp.int.general] Boundless Music Copyright

Heesob Nam hurips at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 16:10:51 CEST 2012

I came across Canadina Supreme Court decisions of July 12, 2012 and
think most relevant to the issues I raised.

In 2012 SCC 34, the Court found no additional royalties on a
downloaded game containing musical works which were licensed by the
musicl copyright holders. See
http://scc.lexum.org/en/2012/2012scc34/2012scc34.html. In this case
the Court views that downloading video games is  reproduction, not
telecommunication within the meaning of Canadian Copyright Act. So if
the music copyright holders are not able to charge royalties for video
games stored on catridges or discs, neither can they levy downloaded
games.

In another case, the Court found that record labels are not allowed to
claim royalties on movies or TV programmes for their use of music
becasue movie and TV soundtracks are not "sound recording". See
http://scc.lexum.org/en/2012/2012scc38/2012scc38.html

I love Canadian court.

Best,
Heesob