[pp.int.general] Internet Jurisdictions (Julia Schramm spin-off)

Will Tovey w.tovey at pirateparty.org.uk
Fri Sep 21 00:36:06 CEST 2012

In the RojaDirecta case, as pointed out, the US weren't even following
US law, so changing how US law applies elsewhere wouldn't help, but...

At the moment, my impression is that jurists have no idea how to deal
with the Internet when it comes to jurisdiction. Given that it is pretty
hard to use the Internet without involving parties from other countries
(whether it is DNS providers, servers, payment providers, advertisers or
users) I'm not sure how we could go about minimising the impact of
third-country laws on our Internet use.

Jurisdiction is a fairly tricky concept normally (my understanding is
that most countries try to claim as broad a reach as they can get away
with, just in case they need it), but when you throw in a global
network, where one simple interaction can involve parties from a large
number of countries, it becomes a huge mess.

An extreme option might be to set up a "trusted" intra-EU only Internet,
which only involved EU parties, and therefore was only affected by EU
law. However, I imagine something like that would be hard to achieve,
and easily abused by those in power.

Another option would be to establish some sort International Framework
on Internet Jurisdiction*; a set of rules (or guidelines) laying out
which country would have jurisdiction over what sort of events over the
Internet (i.e. when a person A, in country B sends an email to C in
country D, using an email provider E in country F, which country has
jurisdiction over which person). Again, this could be warped to favour
those in power, but might clear up some issues, and make it clear who
operated within the limits of which laws.

As an aside, would it be possible to set up some sort of
program/application which monitored (at a very basic level) who a person
was communicating with (via IPs or something? Disclaimer: I know very
little about any of this sort of stuff), worked out the country, and
then displayed some sort of list or graphic indicating that; just to
give people an idea of how complicated trying to sort out this is?

-Will

*That should probably be a generic International Framework on
Jurisdiction; we have no idea how long the "Internet" will last as a
major thing, nor what will come next. Rules should be as generalised and
non-tech-specific as possible, while still making sense.