[pp.int.general] PPI needs some core principles, but not an exhaustive ideology

Philip Hunt cabalamat at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 22:53:44 CEST 2012

On 28 September 2012 20:50, Zbigniew Łukasiak <zzbbyy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Among the recent proposals for a 'pirate ideology' there were two
> extremes: in first there were proposals for an exhaustive set of
> principles covering all political areas - second is the proposal to
> get rid of all ideologies and principles aside one basic platitude
> that everyone on Earth could agree with.

Something that everyone could agree with is not going to be distinct
enough to answer the questions "where are Pirates coming from?" and
"what do Pirates stand for?".

We need to define ourselves in terms of where we differ from other
parties and other political philosophies.

> All evidence so far shows that to be successful
> individual pirate parties will have to extend their program to cover
> the whole spectrum of politics

I totally agree. I personally have been told by voters, numerous
times, "I agree with you on copyright and the internet, but won't vote
for you because I think other issues are more important".

> PPI and the whole pirate movement needs an identity, a way for people
> (and parties) to decide if they want to join us or not and for us to
> decide if we want a particular party inside our movement.

Yes, exactly.

How about questions such as these:

(1) should non-commercial file sharing be illegal?

(2) should drug patents prevent people from getting medicines they need?

(3) Should the state monitor everyone's internet communications?

(4) Should the state require VoIP providers to insert a back door so
they can monitor what people say?

IMO anyone calling themselves a pirate ought to answer NO to all those
questions.

> A platitude
> like "to make the decision that is most beneficial to most people over
> the longest term" will not work for this.

Indeed; it is a definition of utilitarianism not piratism. While many
pirates are utilitarians, many utilitarians aren't pirates, and you
don't have to be a utilitarian to be a pirate. I am against software
patents on principled grounds, because if I own a computer I should be
allowed to make it run any algorithm; even if it was proven that
software patents are overall beneficial, I would still be against
them,

>  It looks attractive,
> because it leaves us much room for maneuvering but it does not help us
> answer the question what is a pirate party.

Totally agree. You've hit the nail on the head there.

--
Phil Hunt, <cabalamat at gmail.com>