[pp.int.general] Pirate Parties International Conference Kazan 2013

Jelena Jovanovic jelena.the.one at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 14:35:15 CEST 2013

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 11:47 PM, Simon Frew
<simon.frew at pirateparty.org.au>wrote:

> I can't see any way for remote delegates to participate on the website.
> This really needs to be fixed.
>
> Local Pirates found this article the other day:
>

> http://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/article114793514/Piratenparteien-wachsen-zu-globalem-Phaenomen.html
>
> Pretty good overview of the International, until we got to the last
> paragraph which states (from Google translate, minorly cleaned up):
>
> To discuss all of this, the PPI has all pirate parties charged world to a
> meeting in April to Kazan in western Russia. It is the fourth such meeting
> since 2007. "We are going, in solidarity," says Engels. "The Turks have
> already committed. The pirates in Australia and Brazil are still
> hesitating. They complain that the meeting takes place so far away," says
> Engels. But that was just the case of global movements. "We want to
> network in Kazan and share experiences," he says. An agenda is not yet
> there. But in one there was agreement: "We are an international movement<http://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article111488486/Den-Piraten-ist-Lebensgefuehl-wichtiger-als-Themen.html>
> ."

thanks for sharing this

> PPAU cannot afford to send a member to Russia, we are only just registered
> and about to face our first National election in September, if not earlier
> (the government is in disarray). It will cost us $2,000 $AUD per Senate
> candidate to run for the election and $1,000 for each local member, which
> we cannot realistically afford. We have a budget under $20,000 total and
> there is no way we could justify spending over $1,000 on sending one member
> on a junket.

It was not a junket. it was good opportunity for networking. And there is
less trolling and hate speech when you meet someone face 2 face.

>  We also urge members to vote against the payment model for PPI. We see
> no value in handing over any of our limited funds so Board members can
> enjoy junkets on our dollar.

*PPI has no budget,* and I as a board member didn't use any money so far.
Even for runnign FB campaign resources (maybe) could be given from PP DE.
When I realized it I gave up making a project proposal and going trough
bureaucracy for little campaign (managing FB ads from Serbia is cheaper
than in other countries, ofc talking about price per click / per 1000
views)

PPI board members, as far as I know, will go to Kazan from their own money
too. PPI has no budget even to send board to PPI conference. And I agree it
is not cheap even when you are flying from Europe, I calculated costs
of flight ticket and hotel and it was cca 1.000 eur (~ 1.200 AU dollars),
from the Balkans.

I think conference few should be much lower for remote participants. Or it
should be no fee at all.

> We have the technology at our fingertips to communicate globally for
> virtually nothing. I can't logically see how PPI would require any more
> than servers which can be loaned by various national Parties or if its own
> servers were really required how it would cost more that a few hundred
> dollars total.
>

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 7:10 AM, Aza <rata_0071 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2013/3/19 Aleksandar Blagojevic <piratska.partija.srbije at gmail.com>
>>
>>>  Any news on remote participation?
>>> I just applied with "regular" registration form. Which, in my opinion,
>>> should be the only one.
>>>
>> Is this right? i would like to participate remotely too
>>

>>> To make my point clear: remote participation should be the primary mode
>>> of PPI GA collaboration. Several thousands of years of live meeting
>>> practice proved that humans are too much prehistoric, too much personal
>>> when it comes to the point of sacrificing themselves in defending an idea.
>>> We have what we need in order to win this pirate battle. PPI GA should be
>>> held online, several weeks in duration, full concencus in practice, full
>>> global reach with high efficiency demonstrated to the global public.
>>>
>>> I repeat, it's never too late for the right thing. Kazan should be yet
>>> another node of PPI GA, like your room, or your PP's HQ.
>>>

>> Agreed, this is the PIRATE PARTY the idea is to give us direct democracy
>> over the net, if someone doesn't think this is feasible or doesn't agree
>> with this then they are in the WRONG PARTY!!!
>>
>> regards
>> aza

Jelena Jovanović about.me/cybernaut
PPI board member 2012/2013