[pp.int.general] Separation of Powers as a minimum PP requirement

carlo von lynX lynX at pirate.my.buttharp.org
Wed Aug 21 14:16:44 CEST 2013

Whenever I talk to German Pirates about the idea of doing a
political party without an effective separation of powers
they quite naturally tell me it cannot work. In fact in
Germany it's the law prescribing that parties need to have
seperated legislative, executive and judicial powers.

Somewhere some Pirates instead think that this seperation
of powers thing is old-fashioned and an expression of the
"system" as we know it.

This is a valuable rebellious way to see it, but the visible
consequence of this is that some verbally powerful people
dominate the social habitat, while others, who feel unjustily
treated or merely observe the behaviour of the ones in power,
quickly steer away from participating and contributing to a
common project. Thus, an actual political party never is
formed. I could say, it remains the playground of a handful
of bullies, but luckily I haven't seen any Pirate Party in
such bad conditions. I am just theorising that it could end
up that way.

I am thus wondering if proper Seperation of Powers should be
a criterion for full members of the PPI. A decision of this
kind on international level would probably catalise the
necessary reforms to make some PP's more functional than
they currently are. I think there was some decision about
requiring proper internal democracy in PP's, but does that
imply a Separation of Powers?

Just wondering if I am hitting a nail on the head or if I am
just trolling without knowing myself.

Greetings.

--
  talk to me in private using Tor:   https://symlynX.com/LAVA/