[pp.int.general] free software video streaming (was: RMS public speech in Paris after the PP-EU conference)

Jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Wed Feb 13 10:30:18 CET 2013

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     we use http://www.ustream.tv/ but as far as I remember from PPI
>
> I think it requires nonfree software -- if there is doubt, it would
> be good to double-check.

yes, it does require flash. content-wise, the lock into proprietary
software also results in adding adverts on the video stream (sometimes
about direct competitors, which in case of the PP might be other
parties...)

for streaming using free software, one can use ogg/theora/vorbis as a
codec, icecast2 on the server side (also in Debian stable) and one of
the many clients available on the client side (where the camera is
attached)

server side: http://icecast.org

client side:
	- http://v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/
	- http://lab.dyne.org/FreejStreaming
	- http://blogs.ukoln.ac.uk/ukolndev/2012/07/12/streaming-video-with-vlc/

and even more client, but this list is mostly about audio:
	http://www.icecast.org/3rdparty.php

BTW developing an ad-hoc pirate client - server solution for streaming
wouldn't be a big problem, if more skilled programmers are interested in
such a project please let me know, InI can help. If one lacks bandwidth
for the purpose there are also community efforts like http://giss.tv

ciao

--
http://jaromil.dyne.org
GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F 5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39