[pp.int.general] free software video streaming (was: RMS public speech in Paris after the PP-EU conference)

Jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Wed Feb 13 19:25:06 CET 2013

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Patrick Godschalk | Piratenpartij wrote:

> Not to be nitpicky,

please be welcome

> but hasn't SWF been, for all intents and purposes, licensed as free
> software since around 2008, excluding the Sorenson Spark stuff?

SWF is a format. the free software players for it are Gnash (recent) and
SWFDEC which is older and left unmaintained, but still works well with
flash3 so it basically plays back old animations.

Gnash provides a plugin for web browsers.
my icecat+gnash installation doesn't works with ustream.tv (0.8.8)
I'm not sure if the latest gnash (0.8.9 or the bleeding edge) works.

OTOH even if playing it back with free software would be possible, the
advertisement problem stays with ustream.  I'm not sure if there are
commercial contracts to eliminate ads.

let me add that YouTube has HTML5 support for WebM, which is
another audio/video codec that is not patent encumbered.
Also WebM playback is supported natively by most recent browsers.
More info is here http://www.youtube.com/html5
AFAIK ads on YouTube are put only if the uploader opts in.

ciao

--
http://jaromil.dyne.org
GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F 5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39