[pp.int.general] free software video streaming (was: RMS public speech in Paris after the PP-EU conference)

Jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Thu Feb 14 12:31:47 CET 2013

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     let me add that YouTube has HTML5 support for WebM, which is
>     another audio/video codec that is not patent encumbered.
>     Also WebM playback is supported natively by most recent browsers.
>     More info is here http://www.youtube.com/html5
>     AFAIK ads on YouTube are put only if the uploader opts in.
>
> The sad thing is, to view a WebM file in YouTube you need to run
> the nonfree Javascript program sent by the site.

ACK. didn't thought about that :^( sad indeed.

however, there are free software CMS platforms to publish videos by
uploading them to a webpage, the best I know of is Plumi (made in
python, works on top of Plone) http://blog.plumi.org whose author has
also written an Android uploader app that is free software called Vidiom
http://vidiom.mobi - this is what we recommend to use at Dyne.org

In the past we have also fiddled with DMMDB, which is made in PHP
http://giss.tv/wiki/index.php/Distributed_Multi-Media_DataBase_(_dmmdb_)

however in case of this recording I agree with Maxime's suggestion, that
a WebM or Ogg/Theora/Vorbis encoded file can just be published on the
web and/or set to download from P2P networks

Does anyone knows of a PP wiki where its appropriate to host the
information about free software video streaming platforms in this
thread?

ciao

--
http://jaromil.dyne.org
GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F 5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39