[pp.int.general] OTR Chatting en mass?

Jack Allnutt j.allnutt at pirateparty.org.uk
Thu Jul 11 09:04:36 CEST 2013

This isn't OTR, and it doesn't have forward secrecy. It use XMPP + PGP
under the hood.

- From the FAQ:

*What technology will Heml.is use?*
We are building Heml.is on top of proven technologies, such as XMPP with
PGP.

*Why not use OTR?*
Even though we love OTR it?s not really feasible to use in a mobile
environment. The problem is that OTR needs both parties to be online for
a session to start, but a normal phone would not always be online. It
would not work at all for offline messages neither.

It also looks like the client will be open source but not free software.
It doesn't look like they're planning on opening up their server stack
either. It will always be tied to their server.

All in all, I don't think it's worth using, let alone funding.

if you want OTR, use OTR. Gibberbot is a reasonable XMPP+OTR client for
Android (although in my personal experience it seems to eat battery)

- -- Jack

On 11/07/2013 07:50, Yoni Miller wrote:
> http://rt.com/news/pirate-bay-application-messaging-872/
>
> The application called Hemlis ? ?secret? in Swedish ? utilizes
end-to-end encryption to make sure that only the two people in a
conversation will have access to its data.

> /"All communication on today's networks is being monitored by
government agencies and private companies. The politicians are not going
to stop it, they're actually asking for more,"/ Sunde said in a video
about the app. /"That's why we decided to build a messaging platform
where no one can spy on you, not even us."/