[pp.int.general] Basic income - how does that fit into the pirate ideology?

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Thu Jul 18 19:40:43 CEST 2013

        [ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
        [ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
        [ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.

    But transportation taxes also rises the prices of food (unless you can
    assure everybody can get the food without transportation- we know that is
    impossible in big cities), thus elevating the quantity of money you need to
    for the basic income

Yes -- and this tax will pressure to make food transportation
efficient.  In general, a carbon tax is the way to use the market to
convince people to reduce fossil fuel use.

In theory, emissions trading can do the same job.  But that is easier
to cheat or game, and needs to be run very carefully.  The EU CO2
emissions trading scheme has been rendered totally ineffective.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation