[pp.int.general] Minutes of PPI GA 2013

Andrew Norton ktetch at ktetch.co.uk
Wed Jun 12 03:57:28 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM, Antonio Garcia <ningunotro at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I do not buy, Andrew.
>
> The bit "...votes from Ordinary Members present or represented and voting on
> them[18]..."
>
> Clearly means the members present and participating in the election process
> to elect members of the CoA (the them in that sentence means them as a body,
> the CoA, not them as individual members of a group). These are 16, as seen
> in the columns of the voting results. Members not present do not count. But
> all present do count for all of the candidates. So >50% is 9 votes for each
> and every of the candidates, no matter if they get 9 votes in favour from
> the only 9 that care to vote, or 9 votes in favour and 4 against and 3
> abstentions (ties do not count who has less votes against, a new vote must
> be organized).
Thank you for pointing this out and AGREEING with me.
The bit that's key is 'abstentions do not count'. You have decided
that they DO count, and that they count as a No. In which case, what's
the point of abstentions? Or indeed, that part in the RoP (well,
redundancy, but they could have been implicit and said 'abstentions
count as a no', or 'abstentions count')

> But keep on kidding me, if you so wish, I can't stop you making a fool of
> yourself anyway if it is absolutely what you wish to do.
>
> No wonder we never have enough time to finish what has to be done.

In this I agree with you, which is why I tried to get this sorted and
clarified 7 weeks ago.

> Repetition in reading statutes and procedures does not help if capacity to
> understand is NIL :( .

Antonio, I could say the same to you. You are reading what you assume
to be there, rather than what is actually, plainly and clearly there,
and understanding what it says. You entered into things with a
preconceived notion (that approval voting is 'usual') and thus have
twisted what you read to support that assertion. How is that different
than the assertion that last years CoA entered the Catalan decision
with the notion that since the GA voted yes (no matter the
circumstances or details) that it was a fait accompli, that just
needed to be rationalised through creative interpretation of the
rules.

That is what happens when, as you have done here, you take a clear and
unambiguous set of statements, and attempt to redefine what they mean.
How does it feel?

Andrew