[pp.int.general] I had this dream once...

pirate at valio.ch pirate at valio.ch
Sat Jun 29 22:37:43 CEST 2013

...of pirate woodstock

a festival...
...whose infrastructure is crowdfounded
...where all financial requirements are openly visibly for everyone
...where there is no clear line inbetween musicians and visitors, but
where everyone shall bring their cc0-ed [0] music, share it over
public wifi, remix with other and publish it
...where everyone gets the chance by a random number generator to
promote their music (or art) in a way that ze finds suitable (pirate
radio, stage w/ streaming, remixed video, ...) and gets rewarded by a
Flattr-like-mechanism
...which does not take place in a single country, but several; none
(or at least: not all) centrally organized if possible; by applying to
the rules stated above, you get on the stream channels of others and
are allowed to call yourself part of the event
...that is as pirate as possible without getting way to illegal

because
...we don't need huge corporations to organize huge festivals
...we don't need intermediaries that take profits in an amount that is
hardly eligible
...we don't need anyone to tell who is worthy and who isn't depending
on current mainstream traits, which are nothing but remixes as all art
[1] without someone else playing a similar piece of music [2]
...we want a world where you get a chance as an artist and are not
constantly told that your income problem is primary piracy (instead of
obscurity [3]), are often exploited (even if you're on the chart list
[4]) and are told you are producing "content" [5]
...we want a world that is united in the cyberspace [6] and one is not
intended to be excluded by economical means
...we need a counterculture instead of just reacting to news and
speaking about how we want the world

Yes, I know this is not politics, but activism.
Yes, I know there are initiatives at a small level, which are hardly noticed.
Yes, I know this is probably beyond our possibilities and you'll call
me an utopian fool.

But if we are to follow the way down, I'm afraid we loose the fun.
The fun that is necessary to bear with politics, not to forget why we
are here [7] and not getting just another movement that becomes
crusted very soon.

-pat

[0] Creative Commons - CC0 license
http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/
[1] Ferguson - Everything is a remix http://everythingisaremix.info/
[2] The Axis of Awesome - 4 Chords http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ
[3] Doctorow - the problem isn't piracy. the problem is obscurity.
http://www.write4kids.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/doctorow.pdf
[4] Love - Courtney Love does the math http://www.salon.com/2000/06/14/love_7/
[5] Stallman - Words to avoid - Content
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Content
[6] Barlow - A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
https://projects.eff.org/~barlow/Declaration-Final.html
[7] Falkvinge - why are you here? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCbRX1YEqrs