[pp.int.general] Trade agreements, intellectual property and the pressures to poor countries

Simon Frew simon.frew at pirateparty.org.au
Tue Mar 12 22:46:07 CET 2013

Greetings

Pirate Party Australia has been campaigning against the Trans-Pacific
Partnership Agreement since we first became aware of it. We attended the
round of negotiations in Melbourne and gave a speech to the delegates. The
info, including speech is in the link below:

http://pirateparty.org.au/wiki/TPPA

We also helped PP California so they could make a speech at the round in
San Diego (I believe it was there).

Here is our PR we did about the current round in Singapore:

http://pirateparty.org.au/2013/03/07/pirate-party-highlights-continued-opacity-of-trans-pacific-partnership-agreement/

We also have a Freedom of Information request, trying to find out what
Australia's negotiating positions are, but they are trying to not release
the information.

Reports from the most recent round of negotiations state there is still
serious opposition to the pharmaceutical patent proposals pushed for by the
US. The original clauses on this were rejected completely and there is
concern the US will try it on again which will cause the Treaty to fall
over (we hope).

http://www.manilatimes.net/index.php/business/top-business-news/43153-pharma-battle-threatens-to-delay-pacific-trade-pact

Another possibility is the Treaty will fail because of what is called an
Investor State Tribunal where foreign companies can sue countries for
passing Laws that harm their profits. So for EG if a country wanted to pass
environmental restrictions, companies who have to comply can sue for the
costs of compliance. This is what caused the Multi-lateral Agreement on
Investment to fail about 12 years ago.

Regards

Simon Frew
Pirate Party Australia