[pp.int.general] Results for Estonian pirates in local elections

Muriel Rovira Esteva muriel at pirata.cat
Sun Nov 24 20:09:21 CET 2013

Dear Märt,

That's great news, congratulations!   :)

In Catalonia we have a couple of representatives in city councils in
coalition with other parties.

In one case the pirate representative got in the town council and is
in the government group so, since the other party also agreed to
include the pirate principles in their programme, a great deal has
been changed in the town hall transparency, among other things. In
another case the coalition got one seat and they were just sharing the
time (the representatives timely resign after their agreed time), so
the pirate representative just stepped in for the last year, and we
still don't know what will the pirate representative be able to do
there.

There is also a council representative who is a pirate that run for
the elections with a group of citizens, which is not a coalition of
parties but just a list of candidates that might belong or not to
different parties. They have carried out some actions that have had a
massive response from the citizens but, since they are in the
opposition, citizen proposals and protests have sadly had limited
influence on legislation. Hopefully, citizens have realised that and
they will get more seats on the next election.

Greetings,

           Muriel