[pp.int.general] Consensus and power (before Re: Reflections on the PP GA)

seykron seykron at partidopirata.com.ar
Sun Apr 20 16:38:35 CEST 2014

> So you propose that we have a mailing list (or web forum or whatever)
> with all members of all pirate parties? Plus translations of all
> messages on that mailing list for people that don't know English and
> than when they want to add from themselves you'd like the translators
> to be required to translate it and send to the mailing list?

Of course not, it could be extremely painful and again, communication
will not work. Here we should be a bit more pragmatic. For example, we
can make some assumptions:

1. Communication does not work, so you'll need to "change" something
and there is no guarantee that a new communication model will work. So,
it is a work in progress until you consider the goal is reached (and
believe me, communication is an endless WIP). Maybe you'll need to
change the model many times during the process.

2. The current PPI structure is strongly vertical, so you need to begin
from this premise: people will tend to leave any communication channel
you create, because you have nothing to keep them active in the
pirate movement. It leads to the next assumption.

3. There're two-way communications: from PPI to people and from people
to PPI. If you don't success creating a symmetric channel, people will
leave as they did from existing mailists. There's a ton of information
every day, if people can't actively participate on decisions there's
nothing more than daily spam. Here you have to answer a couple of
questions: does the PPI want to turn into a more participative
organization?, if so, how do you open participation within that big
organization?, is PPI that big?, how many active people are in the
movement and in local pirate parties?, how many of that active people
want to get involved in certain topics? It leads to the next
consideration.

4. You have to define the level of granularity for communication
channels. I think this is the worst part, and the one that will change
quickly according to the people getting involved in topics. If I'd have
to make an "official" proposal should be this one:

  I. at the beginning we can assume people can speak english (it is a
  disadvantage facing native speakers, but it is how it works right
  now), so channels are all in english. Maybe some people want to
  propose themselves as translators for a specific language, and we can
  list their contacts in the PPI site, but messages to the channels
  must be in english.

  II. Identify work units in the PPI and make them virtually
  horizontal and independent from any hierarchy. For example, if
  there're committees or boards and they're responsible of certain
  topics, they could be considered a virtual work unit on a category of
  topics (in the PPAr we call these units "pirate ships"). Some "ships"
  I figure out right now could be "parliamentary ship" to discuss and
  build Bill proposals; "communication ship" to create effective
  announces and media material; "translation ship" to translate
  documents into local languages; "treasure ship" to guarantee that any
  finance movement is transparent and properly announced. I don't know
  the PPI structure, but for sure there should be a couple of others.

  III. List all existing ships in the PPI site and create a single
  channel for each "ship". People can subscribe to any channel (I like
  mailing lists because I can apply filters and it is a distributed
  system, no one can say "my message was deleted" or something like
  that).

  IV. As mechanisms to take decisions are already defined in the PPI and
  there should be a lot of legal concerns in the middle, maybe at the
  beginning it is not possible to translate consensus (which is a
  practice and it takes a while to work smoothly) to decisions. Here
  the PPI can make a compromise with people: we're working to be a
  high-scale participative organization, keep helping us on topics
  you're interested in while we change our decision making structure to
  include you as part of PPI decisions).

This is a brief outline of what I imagine of a pirate organization,
but there're million of possible strategies if you want to. At this
point I think you understand it is not about "communication" but a
common political practice. If you simply want to announce what's
happening in the PPI just like in other political parties, you can
publish announcements in a blog or site or social network, but take into
account that it will find the same luck as any other information in
internet. Personally, I will not be part of a classical political party
(though it dress up and cheat people presenting itself as a new
alternative), and I will not spread any message from it if I cannot
take part on decisions. Most of people that's claiming for a "change"
or a "better democracy" will take a similar path than I. You'll see
that people can be cheated once, but when the trick is discovered the
organization will fall to pieces as a giant troll.

Regards,

Matías