[pp.int.general] "DRM" terminology in other languages

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sat Apr 26 02:49:33 CEST 2014

    What is, in your opinion, a good translation into your language, of "DRM"?
    By "good translation" I understand a translation that's not too narrow, or
    too broad, but doesn't necessarily needs to be a word-by-word translation
    of "Digital rights management" but a clear designation of the technical
    concept.

The term "digital rights management" puts positive spin on the
practice by describing these technical restrictions as a matter of
"rights" (of a privileged party, over the public).  Using that term
subtly praises the practice.

I prefer the term "digital restrictions management" or "digital
restrictions mechanisms", which puts on negative spin instead of
positive.  Likewise, in Spanish, "gestión digital de restricciones".

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-call-it-the-swindle.html.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation