[pp.int.general] Master's thesis | derailed

michael john sinclair mickeyy_sinclair at yahoo.de
Sun Jan 19 18:02:26 CET 2014

yes, Pirates Thinking ist hard, thats why most people judge.

Lindsay-Anne Brunner <lindsay.brunner at gmail.com> schrieb am 16:41 Sonntag, 19.Januar 2014:

The woman just wanted some answers for her thesis. Why is there an argument over how she wrote her survey?

Just take the survey or don't; she might not be in tune with the argument in the first place or aware of the issue, but that doesn't mean you all should go on for days over it.

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 7:12 AM, Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
>[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
>[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>

>    Referring to it as
>    "Debian Gnoo Slash Linux" all the time, however, will just get confusing
>    to the person you're trying to convince to switch to free software. "Is
>    it Debian, this Gnoo thing, or Linux? I don't know, oh to hell with it,
>    I give up."
>
>You can explain it in a few seconds.  You could also call it "Debian"
>for the first few minutes.
>

>    So again, "who cares", or rather "what do we actually care about as a
>    free software movement"? The accreditation of GNU by using GNU/Linux,
>    and if so, why stop there and just credit every upstream packager
>    included by default in a distribution?
>
>See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#many.
>

>    And, as to what is actually formally correct; that would be how the
>    distribution you're referring to names itself. For example, Debian
>    GNU/Linux, but Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Why?
>
>See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#distronames1.
>

>     Both the Linux kernel and
>    most of the GNU userland are licensed with the (A)GPL which requires
>    using the copyright monopoly, to not remove accreditation of the authors
>    in the actual source, but has no such mention of the name.
>
>See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#require
>and http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#deserve.
>

>    Sigh. One of these days I'm just going to create a distribution with the
>    Linux kernel and consisting of entirely free software, but without the
>    GNU userland.
>
>See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#linuxsyswithoutgnu.
>
>You are grasping at the usual excuses, but you would see through them
>on your own, if you tried.
>

>--
>Dr Richard Stallman
>President, Free Software Foundation
>51 Franklin St
>Boston MA 02110
>USA
>www.fsf.org  www.gnu.org
>Skype: No way! That's nonfree (freedom-denying) software.
>  Use Ekiga or an ordinary phone call.

Pirate Parties International - General Talk
pp.international.general at lists.pirateweb.net