[pp.int.general] Fwd: [pp-leaders] Call for Hosts - General Assembly 2015

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 23:45:10 CEST 2014

On 6/1/2014 7:16 AM, Stephen Ogden wrote:
> Year after year the physical GA has issues, and before/during/after
> there are calls for an online GA to fix issues.
>
> Yes it is a good thing for people to meet in-person and create bonds of
> friendship, but given how contentious the GAs get I wonder how
> productive/counter-productive that has been.

The physical events are VERY counter-productive. They're almost always
poorly organised, and run. The actual essential work is viewed as an
afterthought, and its gets run as a little cabal where a select group
tends towards solidifying power bases.

And those in attendance tend to be the same people - generally people
who mean well, but who aren't the most productive; those that live
locally,; or those with independent wealth who are not restricted by a
conventional job.

When we've had 3 in a row where the actual ESSENTIAL work gets shifted
to an afterthought, and then not done anyway, there's something
seriously wrong with the underlying assumptions, or the person(s)
planning and working on it.

As I've said to both co-chairmen over the past month or two, I have a
proposal for an entirely online GA that is simple, honest, transparent,
and allows the proposals to be researched, and for parties to know about
things enough in advance for an actual INFORMED DECISION (call me crazy,
but I think that might be preferable to last-minute, beer-fuelled
decisions made as we race against the clock to get out of a venue, as
we've tended towards)

Obviously, until a week ago I was rather busy (as many of us were) with
the election, but now I've got time to finish writing up the proposal.

Also, it's been what, less than 2 months since the last GA - while
starting 'now' for net April may seem admirable, the last time it ended
up producing what was probably the biggest shambles of them all. Besides
which, we still have a lot of unresolved issues, proposals, votes etc..
that should have been dealt with in Kazan, but weren't due to bad
planning, and should have been brought up in April, but again through
bad planning were not.

Before we go on with 'April 2015', perhaps we ought to sort out 2013 and
2014 first (including the formal complaint filed by the Dutch Party on
April 10th still hasn't been resolved (so the legitimacy of anything
decided there is still in question) It's jumping the gun a LOT to start
talking about NEXT year.

So before we deal with that, let's get the past stuff sorted first, or
is that too radical an idea for some?

Andrew