[pp.int.general] [AG Liquid Democracy] Anybody checked out placeavote.com?

Martin Stolze pirate.martin at stolze.cc
Mon Jun 2 23:53:35 CEST 2014

​​​Hello Friend,
Thanks for taking the time to elaborate on the details. I agree that this
got a bit out of hand on the different mailing list and it’s also my last
comment.

As for the “big problems”. I am admittedly quite smug in that I only see
them as technicalities somebody smarter than I will solve. I tend to favor
pragmatic approaches.
I don't want to discourage anybody and I have the utmost respect for
everybody who is putting time and effort into any of the mentioned projects.

As far as I understand it placetovote uses a pragmatic approach of
identifying people via social security details with a bit of private-public
key encryption probably at a too high expense of anonymity for our emacs
fraction.
Delegation, again another technicality. One can probably easily hack around
it like you can today via postal ballot. It’s just not done more widely
because elections are just too rare and unspecific.

They are aiming at the primaries in the US, I don't see why they couldn't
take some of us on board and branch it off to Europe, Canada, the local
tennis club, … with different specs.

My intention was really to find somebody who is hooked on the guys in the
states. I am under no illusion that they will probably fail and drop it.
However, I believe they are better in execution. I personally put an
extreme high premium on execution.
You'll hate me for it but I do believe that a solution that originates in
the US has a much higher chance of being recognized, supported and
accepted, unfortunately nothing trumps the immense concentration of capital
and talent that is available there.
I​ ​mean​ ​this​ ​project​ ​is just a sidekick of 59daysofcode.com and I do
belive buying those kids would be better investmetn then, let's say,
sending out another round of paper inviations to the GA, damn, our
pirate-party-micky-mouse-club-membership-cards were probably more expensive
:)
- It was more than 590 days ago when I looked into the Liquid Feedback last
time and I didn't notice a difference since.

In fact, back in 2012 part of me thought that any pirate politian will just
abuse his mandate to make it a 4 year coding assignment and disfranchise
every possible resource to catapult the movement into a semi-operational
beta status. -Wrong judgment on my end.
My issue is that I can’t see much traction for anything that is currently
being developed indigenously. It mesmerizes me that pirates of all people
actually do such work on a local level that is so clearly something that
should be developed internationally.

If you hear social network you think Facebook, if you hear video playback
you think “VLC” if you hear digital democracy you think ...?
let me know. I would appreciate a pointer if you come across something that
has a serious chance.

Best wishes
Martin​