[pp.int.general] Biological patents

Daniel Riaño danielrr2 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 15:38:23 CET 2015

Thanks for the info, Muriel.
Unfortunately, the statements therein are contradictory. In this
"manifesto" (i am not sure this is the "manifesto" so many people is
talking about) we read (http://ppeu.net/wiki/doku.php?id=statutes:manifesto)

Patents are government-backed monopolies which are obstacles in a free
> market and increasingly hinder, instead of help, innovation. Patents should
> definitely never be given for things that are trivial, non-substantial,
> computer programs, business models, or anything unethical.

In the long term, an alternative system to support innovation must be
> developed to replace patents and ensure that the results of research come
> to the benefit of society.

This reads like a full endorsement of James words that "Pirates reject all
patents". Pirates do reject patents of software and (I hope) biological
patents. But it is wrong, I think, to reject in toto any other kind of
patent, nor I think there's a really good economic reason (economic reasons
and innovation are the reasons mentioned) to do so. Although the patents
system (or lack thereof) is far from perfect it doesn't mean *all* patents
are per se "obstacles in a free market". Maybe this is just "manifesto
language" (not the place to look for the fine grained definitions) but I
think we should be much more clear what do we think

The words in the Common European Election Programme (<
http://ppeu.net/wiki/doku.php?id=programme:ceep:final_cut>) make much
better sense at the start:

Patents mostly function as a deterrent to innovation rather than as an
incentive. The patenting of knowledge in areas like genetics and
biotechnology, as well as software, renders it a tangible threat to
the future of our society.

This matter-of-factly wording seems to me perfectly tuned to the Pirates
ideals. But then it goes on:

Monopolies on plants and seeds and costly legal disputes about often

trivial patents already demonstrate how it is both innovators and

consumers who have to pay the price. Patent law needs to be reformed

or replaced with an approach that enables freer and fairer markets

instead of continuing to further stifle innovation.

It seems to me like the focus is lost: the reasons for rejecting all
biological patents is conflated with the reasons to decry trivial patenting
and enormous costs in litigation that do hinder development. There are too
many different issues put on an equal footing. We should be careful to
separate where the patent system is an absolutely no go (some examples are
software, busyness models, biological organisms, short strings of words,
etc); those that would probably can be better served with a different
approach and those where clear and fast change is needed.

Please note that my words are not intended as an attack to the "programme"
as such. Is only an attempt to reach some agreement in a matter that seems
to me of the utmost importance and even urgency.

Best,

Daniel