[pp.int.general] float my boat, separation of powers, international pirate parliament.

David van Deijk davidd at piratenpartij.nl
Thu Jan 1 15:22:24 CET 2015

Dear all. happy 2015!

float my boat.

I would like to float this idea. There is probably a lot that can be
improved about it and perhaps it isn't even that new. I haven't
discussed
this with anyone yet and would just like to see if this boat floats in
the ppi waters. There will probably be (several) statute amendments
necessary
for this to become anything official but not to be useful.

separation of powers

Most pirates will already know how from the philosophers montesquieu
book trias politica normally there are three branches of government.
The legislative, the executive and the judicial branches. Many countries
have a version of this system, but also many clubs, organisations,
businesses
and political parties have similar structures of separation of power.

In the PPI there is some separation of powers already. The court of
arbitration and the board could be seen as some form of judiciary and
executive.
The GA could be seen as the legislature as the GA has final say over the
statutes and stuff like that.

International pirate parliament.

One power that has not yet been clearly separated is the political one.
How hardline should we be during negotiations? given the option of
compromise
what are our priorities? These questions get different answers depending
on whom you ask. These answers dont split along national borders, in
each
country there are groups that prefer principled defiance of everybody
versus groups that prefer pragmatic cooperatoring and compromises to
further our
goals. And most international policy questions are like this. There are
many international politics questions and it would be a good thing if
the parties connected to the ppi could somewhat align their foreign
policy in the party programs/planks/election promises, also for
international
organisations like WIPO we be more respectable if the parties really
stick together and be an international block.

Therefore I propose the creation of an international pirate parliament
elected by individual pirates all over the world, the party members
of all pirateparties associated with the ppi.

This parliament would work alongside the Board, GA and Coa of the PPI
and focus more on the geopolitical questions and international
agreements
and less on the organisational side of the PPI.

Here are some rules to start out with.

1. A position in the international pirate parliament cannot be combined
with a position in the PPI board, the PPI Coa or with being
international delegate to the ppi for your or any party.
Motivation: The separation of powers thingy

2. All countries will have a veto via their delegate(s) over all policy
decisions made by the parliament.
Motivation: For many countries it is illegal to have a foreign entity
decide your national parties policies. This veto will assure that for
the law
each country has full power over its policy.
Motivation 2: It could be easy for a big country or a country with lots
of pirate members to overrun a smaller country and have a policy that
really hurts that country. We have to respect each of our members and
make sure they do not get overrun.

3. One pirate one vote. Boards of countries do not get to cast the votes
for their members, only votes done by their members themselves count.
Motivation: The boards already have the power via the GA and the
delegates.

4. The parliament should start out small (15?) and grow each year (+5?)
to ensure a serious election and selection of the best qualified people.
Motivation: I prefer 15 people that really want to accomplish something
over a group of 100 people that just took part to be a part.

5. All parliamentary sessions shall take place online.
Motivation: Create your own smoke breaks!

Thanks everybody for listening,
Thanks in advance for your advice, critisisms and comments. All input is
appreciated.
Questions:
1. How can we arrange fair elections?
2. Are you or do you know someone that would like to be in this
international pirate parliament?
3. Would you support the creation of a parliament and if so: Are you a
boardmember or delegate ?
4. what is the biggest problem you see in the creation of a parliament.

all aboard, raise the sails, anchors up.
ahoy,
David van Deijk.