[pp.int.general] Pirate Party MEP Fails to Deliver True Copyright Reform | TorrentFreak

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 18:53:52 CET 2015

On 01/26/15 18:27, fauno wrote:
> On 26/01/15 07:15, Thomas Blechschmidt wrote:
>> Thanks Richard, At least it seems, we have some common view in US and
>> Europe.... Following this "Julia-Gate" I'm still not sure if Julia
>> advocates anything new or progressive. To be honest, I don't
>> understand what is "radical" in her position. Thx Thomas
> la quadrature du net mentions and salutes copyright duration reduced
> from 70 to 50 years after death of author, but i haven't read this on
> the report. why does the report appear to be a personal job of julia reda??

Reducing to minimum according to Berne means reducing to life+50, as was
codified in the Berne Convention in 1909.

But it is not so drastic as it might appear. The European Union
harmonized downwards once before, in 1987 or 1986 (can't remember
exactly). The Term Harmonization Directive harmonized to life+70 across
the whole inner market and actually did cause protection terms to
decrease in at least Spain, but I believe some other member states as
well. Spain got a special exception to keep the life+80 protection terms
for works created before 1987 which caused a funny situation to arise a
few years ago when Benjamin Walter's texts suddenly entered into the
public domain everywhere but in Spain.

Especially ironic since Benjamin Walter (a prominent technology
historian from the 1940s) spent the last years of his life in Argentina,
a Spanish speaking country.

best regards,

Amelia