[pp.int.general] Pirate Party MEP Fails to Deliver True Copyright Reform | TorrentFreak

David van Deijk davidd at piratenpartij.nl
Tue Jan 27 20:38:37 CET 2015

On 01/27/15 14:18, carlo von lynX wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 12:30:25PM +0100, Amelia Andersdotter wrote:
>> Unfortunately there is little choice. Julia's report is cautious and
>> disingenous. She is actually hindering the European Commission from
>> being as reformist as the Commission wants to be.
> This is an interesting point we should have debated collectively and
> given Julia guidance in due time. How have you reached out to her?
> How have you reached out for the Pirate movement to give feedback?
> Should we have founded a PP-EU Working Group on Copyright to dissect
> these points? Should we have deliberated an official European Pirates
> position on a euroliquid platform that by shameful events hasn't been
> instantiated?
>
> One thing I know for sure is that having one of the last prominent
> figures in the Pirate movement publicly criticizing another of the
> last prominent figures by communicating via the media has been
> exactly the sort of problem resolution strategy that has driven the
> popularity of the Piratenpartei below the surface. Public squabbles
> is seen in the population as the main reason to not take us seriously.
>
> It may seem way too late now, but I would propose to create the
> necessary decisional platform for the Pirate Movement to collectively
> pass a regulation for ALL Pirate Parties to forbid individuals from
> criticizing Pirate representatives via the public media UNLESS there
> has been a legitimate collective process that comes to the conclusion
> that parliamentary XY has been acting outside the Pirate consensus.
>
> What do you think of that?

https://juliareda.eu/2015/01/press-release-eu-copyright-report/

https://www.discuto.io/en/consultation/6240

https://twitter.com/senficon/status/557173214615711744

Do you have comments, criticism or additions to my report on EU
#*copyright* <https://twitter.com/hashtag/copyright?src=hash>? You can
share them here: https://www.discuto.io/consultation/6240 …
<https://t.co/64gAWRC3bm>

So doing a bit of research i got these links.

Because there is no liquid it the input was done via discuto. If you
have a look you see generally a lot of approval with the voters on
everything.
So how come Julia gets the shitstorm?
Also i think not everything in the torrentfreak article was fair
critisism. in the report articles 12 13 14 (numbered 18 19 20) seem
pretty piratey to me.

13. Calls for the adoption of an open norm introducing flexibility in
the interpretation of exceptions and limitations in certain special
cases that do not conflict with the normal exploitation of the work and
do not unreasonably prejudice the legitimate interests of the author or
rightholder;

14. Urges the European legislator to ensure technological neutrality and
future-compatibility of exceptions and limitations by taking due account
of the effects of media convergence; in particular, the exception for
quotation should expressly include audio-visual quotations in its scope;

13 seems to be the remixing clause
14 seems to be the anti-drm clause.

in the TF article however, this is written:

"
While the Commission acknowledges remixing and transformative uses are
important to a large number of users, Julia ”notices with interest” that
remixing occurs. She praises the level of balancing between
rightsholders’ interests that the European copyright laws achieve. The
Commission acknowledges instead that neither citizens or authors feel
that such a balance exists. Is she making anyone happy?
"

well i think that clause 13 does more than "noticing with interest". And
i would like to see where the commission has put forward more
progressive stuff about this because it would be the first positive
thing i hear about oetinger.

I prefer to hear solutions not problems. I dont think Carlo's solution
is the right one, but i applaud him for at least coming up with one.