[pp.int.general] Beyond the Snowden Treaty?

carlo von lynX lynX at pirate.my.buttharp.org
Mon Oct 12 17:29:32 CEST 2015

I like David Miranda's initiative to promote a global treaty
against surveillance as he proposes in his snowdentreaty.org
site (which I haven't seen, since it depends on JS)... Thanks
to the Spanish Pirates for making me notice this... but I
doubt that is the right path to undertake:

Governments of all nations will not be happy to sign such a
treaty if it means that they will have to bring surveillance
back to secrecy and risk a serious public crisis should they
get caught.

Stopping surveillance by "choice" is out of the question:
All countries would assume that the other countries are still
spying on them, so they cannot by national strategic interest
*afford* to stop surveillance on as much population as possible.

>From my point of view the only way out of this dilemma is to
introduce an Internet that *cannot* be surveilled. This puts
countries into a position of strategic advantage compared to
those that let themselves be surveilled.

A secure Internet cannot be introduced by "the market" as
there is no viable business model for it, but it can be
imposed by market regulation. From the year 201x on, the
Internet must be secure from surveillance.

I have worked with a team of likeminded in drafting the formal
details of such a legislation that would introduce proper
respect of constitutional principles into internetworking.

Enjoy: http://youbroketheinternet.org/#legislation

Feedback is very welcome. Thinking of making it a plain text
generated document so everyone can fork the git.

--
  E-mail is public! Talk to me in private using encryption:
         http://loupsycedyglgamf.onion/LynX/