[pp.int.general] Fwd: [A2k] #ReadAnneDiary for World Intellectual Property Day

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 00:02:03 CEST 2016

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[A2k] #ReadAnneDiary for World Intellectual Property Day
Date: 	Wed, 20 Apr 2016 18:56:10 +0200
From: 	Natalia Mileszyk <nmileszyk at centrumcyfrowe.pl>
To: 	a2k at lists.keionline.org

Dear All,

This year we decided to "celebrate" Intellectual Property Day by launching
a campaign #ReadAnneDiary. We'd love to have as many of you as possible on
board with us - can you spread the word and consider posting something on
your blog/facebook/twitter? Be with us on April 26:)

Best from Warsaw
Natalia Mileszyk

*#ReadAnneDiary*

April 26 is World Intellectual Property Day. Centrum Cyfrowe
<http://centrumcyfrowe.pl/english/>, Communia
<http://www.communia-association.org/>, and Kennisland
<https://www.kl.nl/> decided
to use this opportunity to show how absurd and outdated the current EU
copyright framework is by launching a campaign called *#ReadAnneDiary*.
Recently, Anne Frank’s famous diary has been in the spotlight
<http://www.project-disco.org/intellectual-property/010416-mein-kampf-the-diary-of-anne-frank-and-the-long-shadow-of-20th-century-copyrights/>
because
of a copyright dispute about when the literary work enters the public
domain. After some intricate legal calculations, it seems that the Dutch
version of *The Diary of Anne Frank* is now in public domain (as of 2016)
in Poland, but *not* in the Netherlands or other EU countries, due to
specific aspects of their copyright laws. The patchwork of EU copyright
rules are too confusing, and the public is paying the price by not having
access to some of their most important creative and cultural works.

*On April 26, we’re making available a digital version of The Diary of Anne
Frank at the website www.annefrank.centrumcyfrowe.pl
<http://www.annefrank.centrumcyfrowe.pl/>. *Unfortunately, due to the
restrictive territorial rules regarding copyright, the website will only be
accessible for users inside Poland. Yes, you read that right: access will
be blocked for anyone attempting to view the site from outside of Poland.
Why are we doing this? We’re doing it to draw attention to the absurdity of
these types of copyright rules. *The Diary of Anne Frank* is an important
historical work—published originally in Dutch in the Netherlands. It should
be available in the public domain across Europe. Yet now, it will not be
accessible anywhere except for Poland.

The landing page for the website will display an infographics explaining
why we have taken this type of “geoblocking” approach in this case, and
we’ll share a few other examples of similar challenges across the EU. The
campaign to share the digital version of *The Diary of Anne Frank* (only in
Poland, of course) will be a one-time action on April 26, but we are
interested in continuing to follow the problems of geo-blocking.

Please help us spread the word! Write a blog post, send an email, and share
information on social  media under the hashtag *#**ReadAnneDiary*. We of
course realize most people across EU will not be able to access the text.
But we want to raise awareness about the importance for copyright reform
and supporting the public domain.

If you are interested in finding out more/promote the action, please free
to use:

   - The article on the Anne Frank situation
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cYhAvbZPkFEXBj3jTCljCIP2wRZtCpmtGJHSw_UUy1s/edit?usp=sharing>
-
   please note it will be published on the Communia blog on April 26, but
   you’ll find all legal explanations needed here
   - Our infographic
   <https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-OWOdCuQId_VGR4NDZ2VUZldzg/view?usp=sharing>
showing
   what the campaign is about (you don’t have to wait to publish it:)
   - Cover photos
   <https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-OWOdCuQId_OGlFRUtSaHRPd2c&usp=sharing>
of
   the campaign
   - Facebook event  <https://www.facebook.com/events/1129072403804149/>

Natalia Mileszyk
Centrum Cyfrowe Projekt: Polska
public policy expert
@nmileszyk
(+48) 668-440-136

centrumcyfrowe.pl/ | creativecommons.pl | *communia-association.org
<http://communia-association.org>*