[pp.int.general] GA: Statutes & Motions

Märt Põder boamaod at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 15:51:42 CEST 2016

Hi participants/lurkers at PPI GA!

I second to comments about SAP-2, SAP-6, MO-2, partly oppose to comments about SAP-1, SAP-3, SAP-10 and MO-3, but actually I wanted to say some bits about dilemma of SAP-10 versus SAP-11 plus MO-3.

Basically "PPI Overhaul" (SAP-10) and "Online Assembly" plus "Permanent online GA until the next regular GA" (SAP-11 plus MO-3) seem to envisage different solutions to the same diagnosis.

* "Overhaul" says let's take PPI down for good and build it up from scratch.
* "Permanent assembly" says let's break PPI to modules and improve it without too much downtime.

Without arguing about to correctness of diagnosis and prospect of realising either of the options, I'd say that both of these are not something GA will effectively prescribe to board. These options should be platforms that board candidates actively explain and campaign for.

I suppose you cannot really imagine chair of the board not supporting "Overhaul" still doing good stuff to make a good overhaul and the same about "Permanent assembly" opponents, if they will be on board. So ideally, we should vote for board members who position themselves somewhere in the realm of this diagnosis and possible solutions, try to discuss the options and make some kind of coalitions based on their positions.

But currently there is no visible campaign about it. I'm afraid that makes voting in GA mostly a lottery.

What would be a rational choice in this situation where we don't have nominations for board who take their tasks seriously enough and campaign for their platforms?

Well, it's tempting to support "Overhaul", since it may give PPI a fresh restart with new people. But we don't have large amounts of fresh and motivated people running for the board (or just lurking around, notice that http://pirateint.org/ from last year is down already for half a year), just some people with some ideas and hunches, no real opposition or worked out alternative. If two proposed courses are not strictly excluding each other, could there be a compromise among lines of *overhaulers* (SAP-10) and *assemblers* (SAP-11 + MO-3)?

Couldn't we assemble for overhaul or overhaul at an assembly? Isn't the most reasonable strategy for the GA to create freeway for both overhaulers and assemblers so they would be *forced* to loosely cooperate and support each others projects and see which of the courses gives more results. Just that we need to envisage some sort of resilient model for that, which includes safeguards, that ensure that we will be all pain in each others asses while we do our jobs, so we cannot stop doing it.

So instead of voting SAP-10 against SAP-11 + MO-3 we should vote for a preliminary package of safeguards for resilience to ensure:

* Robust cooperation between members of the board that cannot be stopped at any point without creating an immediate scandal.
* Unstoppable oversight of what board does by PPI members and obligation for members to properly fulfill their respective tasks.
* Continuous measurement of the progress and measurable goals for the end of the process.

But, yes, basically it's about serious candidates for the board, that is about persons or candidates with an actual platform, and not amendments at the GA. Last year Pirate Times had a series of articles about possible platforms [1], but still not enough candidates to fill the positions to make one of these a reality. What about this year then, how do we improve?

Cheers!

Märt Põder
PP-EE

https://twitter.com/trtram