[Stockholmspirater] Nyhetstips: Social media is changing our digital news habits

PP Gagarin Miljkovich gagarin.miljkovich at piratpartiet.se
Sun Jul 10 11:41:54 CEST 2016

Social media is changing our digital news habits – but to varying
degrees in US and UK
https://theconversation.com/social-media-is-changing-our-digital-news-habits-but-to-varying-degrees-in-us-and-uk-60900

Digital technology has dramatically reshaped the news and media
industries in the past decade. We’ve left behind a world where
established news brands could rely on reaching large audiences and
hence secure advertising revenues.

Data from comScore recently revealed that, in the U.S., social media
accounts for 20% of total time spent online. It follows that 46
percent of our DNR American sample named social media such as Facebook
or Twitter as a source of news; that’s almost twice the number who did
in 2013. In the U.K., this figure is slightly lower (35 percent).
Meanwhile, 14 percent in the U.S. and 8 percent in the U.K. cite
social media as their main source of news.

These trends are moving fastest among younger audiences. Globally, for
all age groups under 45, online news is now ranked as more important
than television news. Among 18-to-24-year-olds, social media (28
percent) rates above TV (24 percent).

Across the sample, Facebook is the leading social network for news and
non-news consumption: 44 percent of all respondents used it for news
in the week prior to the survey. YouTube (19 percent) and Twitter (10
percent) trail behind, highlighting why discussions about Facebook’s
algorithms and news selection are so important. Almost half of our
sample get at least some of their news from the social media giant.