[pp.int.general] Vienna meeting

Ole Husgaard osh at procard.dk
Wed Jun 13 01:26:25 CEST 2007

Jouni Snellman wrote:
> Thanks people for everything, it was great meeting you all.
Indeed it was.

A big, big thanks to everybody who could come to Vienna, and to the
people arranging this great event!
> Next time we should not let anyone drag us into discussing a red
> herring topic like software patents, the most irrelevant of all the
> irrelevant EU dossiers. We lost a whole afternoon of scarce -and thus
> valuable - time together.
I tend to disagree here, and would like to explain further, as I think
too many pirates consider it nonimportant. What we call "software
patents" are not just patents on software, but also patents on business
methods that can be supported by software. Basically it is patents on
any idea that can be supported by, or implemented in, software. In the
information society we should not monopolize all these ideas. In
particular it would be catastropic if we are not allowed to write and
use the software we want, and instead had to use only the software we
are allowed to use.
> I still don´t understand why we can not discuss trade mark and trade
> secret laws which are infinitely more important IPRs than patents.
Yes these issues are also important, and unfortunately there was little
discussion of these, except in the many private conversations I had.

Best Regards,

Ole Husgaard.