[pp.int.general] constituting pirate-property

Natsu piratenatsu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 00:29:53 CEST 2007

Hi, Jens.

First of all, thanks for your mail.

I agree with you up to a point. It is true that "intellectual property" is a
term widely used by our enemies. And it is also true that we do not believe
in such a concept. You shouldn't be able to own an idea as you own a car.

However, I quite disagree with your proposed alternative. It does not sound
well. Remember that when our enemies (basically industries) try to sell the
concept of intellectual property, they excuse themselves saying they defend
the authors. So our solution is different: The Spanish Pirate Party refuses
to own the concept of intellectual property, but is a relentless defender of
author's rights. We defend author's rights, not industries's rights.
Whenever the industry tries to use the concept of intellectual property, we
counterattack with our defense of the authors. Remeber the industry is NOT
the authors. Remember that the man who wrote the novel in which the film
"The Graduate" is based, cannot write the second part himself because a
filmmaker company owns the character. That's what we are against. To say
"pirate-property" will alienate most listeners and readers. It is good
enough to use "Pirate" for the parties, as an attention call. But saying
"pirate-property" instead of intellectual property may alienate some
authors. So, if they want the moral ground, we'll counterattack with moral
ground: remember we defend author's rights. Intellectual property is an
oxymoron. It doesn't exist.

It. Does. Not. Exist. If they want semantic war, they'll have it :) .

Much less Pirate-property. Nothing remotely related to "property" should be
attached to nothing remotely related to "intellect" or "ideas".

Sorry if I explained this in a blunt manner. I tried to tell it as I would
have told non-Pirate-members. And, if I am not mistaken, and considering the
Partido Pirata's proposal on copyright, this could be (I can't be sure) our
Party's view on intellectual property and author's rights.

Thanks for opening this debate, it was due time that we clarified this,

See you,

Natsu

2007/6/13, Enrique Herrera Noya <quiquetux at gmail.com>:

> 2007/6/13, Jens Seipenbusch <seipenbusch at web.de>:
> > Hi pirates,
> >
> > one of the most important battelfields on our way is about terms and
> words.
> > You all know that the term 'intellectual property' is one of the best
> > weapons of our enemies.
> > In order to attack this weapon i thought of a counter-weapon as in the
> > following draft:
> >
> > ---
> > Capturing the term 'intellectual property' with the term
> > 'pirate-property (PP)'
> >

> i apology for my  BabelFish-english....
>
> we take a walk to the wheel, the concept intellectual property, is the
> dehumanizing of the ideas, therefore is a banditry  semantic,
> therefore al to reduce the ideas to a well transable utilize this
> concept as base for the apropiacion by means of deceit of the
> creations of the people.
>
> it is but, when they speak of author rights, they always end up
> speaking of intellectual property, because if continued speaking of
> rights of evident resultaria author the deceit we are del side of the
> authors, by which we are going to do is to recover those rights to the
> authors. That the power on the creation this in the authors and not in
> the companies.
>
> we do not have to be placed in the same plane that they, in the scale
> of values, the property is a utilitarian value, we we are speaking of
> values Ethical, freedom: of access to the information, expression,
> intercommunication
>

> demosle una vuelta a la rueda, el concepto de propiedad intelectual,
> es la cosificacion de las ideas, es bandolerismo semantico , pues se
> reduce las ideas a un bien transable, utilizando este concepto como
> base para la apropiacion de los derechos sobre la creacion de la
> gente.
>
> es mas, cuando hablan de derechos de autor , siempre terminan hablando
> de propiedad intelectual, pues si siguieran hablando de derechos de
> autor resultaria evidente el engaño.
> nosotros estamos del lado de los autores, por lo que vamos a hacer es
> recuperar esos derechos  a los autores.
> Que la potestad sobre la creacion este en los autores y no en las
> empresas.
>
> no debemos colocarnos en el mismo plano que ellos, en la escala de
> valores, la propiedad es un valor utilitario, nosotros estamos
> hablando de valores etica, libertad, de acceso a la informacion , de
> expresion, de intercomunicacion
>
> > The pirate movement hereby claims pirate-property of all immaterial
> goods.
> > You say, there is no property of immaterial goods? Yes, exactly,
> > therefore it is called pirate-property!
> > Examples of pirate-property are ideas, knowledge, culture and software.
> > Everything in pirate-property is available to anyone without restriction
> > and without charge, for him to use it for new creations and to his own
> > advantage and/or everyone elses.
> [...]

Isabel María Guzmán Miranda

Coordinadora del comité sectorial de Cultura y Derechos de Autor