[pp.int.general] audio files of the talks

Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) rick at piratpartiet.se
Sat Jun 16 20:50:43 CEST 2007

> I think that bringing up the US isn't necessarily the best thing to
> do; just as the leftist movement, the pirate political movement may
> very well be accused of being anti-american. Being "anti" the Best and
> most Free, Democratic state in the world is not something we wish to
> be.

This is true - it is a dangerous thing to talk about, but nevertheless true.

What we are fighting _does_ have its roots in American attempts to replace
dominance through industrial production with dominance through strong
intellectual "property" protection, executed primarily through multi- and
bilateral trade agreements.

I have absolutely nothing against America. However, I do have something
against my civil liberties being eroded due to the desperate maintenance of
old monopolies and structures, and these desperate attempts do come from the
US - they are necessary for the US to remain the dominant economic power, a
status for which there is no longer any factual merit.

I believe that the US as well would fare well in stopping to pump air into a
balloon of nothing, and instead building wealth based on production and
services, rather than on the wielding of monopoly power. So yes, in part, I
am against one policy of the US. That's far from being against the US as a
whole, though.

I feel like I'm being fuzzy here. Was that clear to anyone?