[pp.int.general] Communication problem, real or perceived?

Andrew Norton andrew.norton at pirate-party.us
Fri Jun 22 06:00:54 CEST 2007

I've been looking around, reading around, and it seems to be there is some sort of gap in communication. It seems we're all working separately, or at least not as cohesively as we should, or could. I've spoken to many of you recently (or at least some of you on IRC, and most of those who've replied with the 'Jabber of the pirates') and often I get the same question - “hows it going in your country” and its one I also have to ask.

We're not communicating well between each other, or again, thats my perception. It would be nice, for instance, to know when national groups put out a press release about something (you are putting out press releases and stuff, right?)

The other thing is there is no real 'private' communication between us all. This mailing list is open to anyone that wants to be on it. Whilst that might be great in some aspects, its not so good in others, especially if there's any sort of discussion over anything that might cause controversy.

What I would like to propose is that we just start talking more, and talking smarter.
1)Some sort of monthly meeting, on IRC, or any other method, between different party members, so we can all keep each other informed about how things are going.
2)Some sort of secured area, just for party members, so we can discuss things in private, even if it's just a moderator-approved-join list.
3)That we each announce press releases to a list, be it this one, or another one, so we al are kept abreast of each party's breaking news, and can either make support statements or whatever may be needed. Maybe even the 'international Pirate Party' issues the said releases, in the name of each national party. Dunno how feasible that is, but its worth thinking about.
I'm more than willing to help out with time, and effort. Right now, due to the main composition of the US party supporters, many of our people are otherwise occupied. In addition, the regulations for registering a party here are difficult, and seem designed to make forming a party near impossible reason, despite being 'in existence' for almost a year, we'll probably be one of the last party's to officially become a political party.

Andrew Norton
PPUS International Liaison