[pp.int.general] 120 Days Left for Utah in the USA

John Nilsson john.nilsson at piratpartiet.se
Tue Oct 16 20:02:54 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 09:18 -0600, Ray Jenson wrote:
> However, there is a problem. In spite of our attempts to gain some
> measure of attention with the press, it simply hasn't happened.
Don't wait for it. Besides you won't get it for a while either. You need
to do something worth giving attention to. You can do that later.

> I'm still running into people
> regularly who have never heard of the Pirate Party, or who think that
> we're actually a lobbying group without much in the way of support.
It's the same for us. (Sweden). It just means that you can keep focusing
on presenting the idea as such and not so much on why someone should
change opinion. Go for quantity not quality.

> (though the supporters I have found tend
> to be rather excited-sounding about the idea of there being a political
> party as long as they personally don't need to do anything more than join).
I think you can roughly expect 10% of your members to be recruitable for
doing any actual work. Depends on what the immediate goal is. An
election is rather easy to recruit for. But you should be happy if one
out of a hundred shows up for an organized event. But even a very small
group of people can do a lot when focused on the task.

So just focus on presenting the idea to as much people as possible and
for every new member you are one person closer to the next working
member and so on.

Help your members to organize. Most of them just needs someone to pull
the string to get going. Tell them what to do, when to do it and where
to do it, and assign someone responsible for organizing the event.
Actually it might be better to do it the other way around, assign people
to organize events and have them tell people what, when and where.

We had tremendous success with just having our members run around the
streets an hour or two each weekend distributing flyers. Combining that
with taking signature should yield some results for you.

Regards,
John Nilsson