[pp.int.general] [press release] Austria one step closer to total surveillance

Stephan Klein stephan.klein at gmx.at
Wed Oct 17 18:02:33 CEST 2007

Pirate Party Austria: "Federal Trojan" - a step towards total
surveillance

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both." (Benjamin Franklin)

VIENNA 2007-12-17 / The Austrian Pirate Party (PPOE) disapproves of
Guenther Platter's (the Austrian secretary of interior) initiative to
pave the way for a federal trojan. "The government's decision to enact a
law concerning the federal trojan is outrageous. Such Stasi-esque
methods are not acceptable. We ask Mr Platter to step down from office
immediately.", said a spokesman of the PPOE.

Today we had to learn that the two ruling parties SPOE and OEVP have
agreed upon a draft to legalize the use of a federal trojan. This is a
very clear breach of the most basic civil rights in our democracy. These
methods remind us of the DDR and other totalitarian regimes. What Orwell
tried to warn from in "1984" is now becoming reality. In combination
with the data retention policy which was passed earlier this year,
Guenther Platter is in the process of dissolving democracy and the civil
rights. The PPOE demands a return from the hysteria of surveillance to
the basic values of democracy and freedom.

Please direct press queries in German language to:

David Hackl
PPOE Presse
presse at ppoe.or.at
+43 720 34 61 73

[End of official press release]

I (Stephan) will answer international (English language) press queries
for now.