[pp.int.general] 120 Days Left for Utah in the USA

Juxi Leitner juxi.leitner at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 08:54:25 CEST 2007

I have to agree with Rick, getting the signatures by hand is a pain in
the ass we had to try to that last year here in Austria, it's easier
to get the support online, much easier :) (how do they check if the
signatures are from Utah?)

If u need more information about gathering the signatures by hand I
can get u in contact with a few folks here in Austria who did that
last year if u need it...

cheers,
Juxi

On 10/17/07, Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) <rick at piratpartiet.se> wrote:

>  Hi Ray,
>
>  seeing that we had 60 days and still pulled it off (in 45), I certainly
> think it can be done - but not without serious effort.
>
>  The key is to get attention. And we don't get attention in mainstream
> media, that's just not going to happen. Mainstream media reports when we
> have already built momentum elsewhere.
>
>  You mention that you can gather signatures electronically, but that 3,400
> signatures are required. Does that mean you can gather them on a website? If
> so, I'd like to point you to this excerpt in the Wikipedia article for
> inspiration:
>
>  The website for the Pirate Party was opened January 1, 2006 (at 20.30
> CEST), starting the foundation of the party. Six phases were presented, with
> phase one being the collection of at least 2,000 signatures (500 more than
> needed) to be handed over to the Swedish Election Authority before February
> 4 (while the absolutely last date would be February 28), so that the party
> would be allowed to participate in the Swedish general election of 2006,
> which took place on September 17. Fewer than 24 hours after the opening of
> the website, the party had collected over 2,000 signatures (2,268 at 16.05
> CEST).
>
>  By the morning of January 3, the party closed the signature collection. In
> about 36 hours, they had gathered 4,725 signatures.
>

>  This is in a nation with nine million people, and the word of mouth just
> spread like wildfire.
>
>  You can also gather signatures physically, but it's much harder work. Our
> best people could gather about 50 signatures per hour in a city center. It
> took the whole organization five weeks of concentrated effort to pull it off
> altogether.
>
>  My advice for getting the necessary attention to electronic signatures
> would be to try to get the story out ("Utah Pirate Party needs your help")
> on Digg or Slashdot, once you have the registration mechanism up. Or maybe
> even TorrentFreak.
>
>  Rick
>

>  On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 09:18 -0600, Ray Jenson wrote:
>  Hello, Everyone!
>
> I'm needing a bit of help, and I hope that you can all assist me.
>
> Today marks a very important day. Today marks 120 days from the deadline
> in February to have all of the signatures ready and counted for Utah to
> be permitted to form the Pirate Party of Utah.
>
> However, there is a problem. In spite of our attempts to gain some
> measure of attention with the press, it simply hasn't happened. We're
> simply not making enough of a wave to gain the kind of attention we need
> to get people interested and aware. I'm still running into people
> regularly who have never heard of the Pirate Party, or who think that
> we're actually a lobbying group without much in the way of support. We
> aren't making a stir, and so the media just doesn't care. The perception
> [...]

"We need dreamers 'cuz in our dreams we see not what is but what can be!"