[pp.int.general] 120 Days Left for Utah in the USA

Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) rick at piratpartiet.se
Wed Oct 17 10:33:45 CEST 2007

Hi Ray,

seeing that we had 60 days and still pulled it off (in 45), I certainly
think it can be done - but not without serious effort.

The key is to get attention. And we don't get attention in mainstream
media, that's just not going to happen. Mainstream media reports when we
have already built momentum elsewhere.

You mention that you can gather signatures electronically, but that
3,400 signatures are required. Does that mean you can gather them on a
website? If so, I'd like to point you to this excerpt in the Wikipedia
article for inspiration:

The website for the Pirate Party was opened January 1, 2006 (at 20.30
CEST), starting the foundation of the party. Six phases were presented,
with phase one being the collection of at least 2,000 signatures (500
more than needed) to be handed over to the Swedish Election Authority
before February 4 (while the absolutely last date would be February 28),
so that the party would be allowed to participate in the Swedish general
election of 2006, which took place on September 17. Fewer than 24 hours
after the opening of the website, the party had collected over 2,000
signatures (2,268 at 16.05 CEST).

By the morning of January 3, the party closed the signature collection.
In about 36 hours, they had gathered 4,725 signatures.

This is in a nation with nine million people, and the word of mouth just
spread like wildfire.

You can also gather signatures physically, but it's much harder work.
Our best people could gather about 50 signatures per hour in a city
center. It took the whole organization five weeks of concentrated effort
to pull it off altogether.

My advice for getting the necessary attention to electronic signatures
would be to try to get the story out ("Utah Pirate Party needs your
help") on Digg or Slashdot, once you have the registration mechanism up.
Or maybe even TorrentFreak.

Rick