[pp.int.general] German sociologist detained

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 02:34:24 CEST 2007

I assume all German people have heard of the detained sociologist
guilty of doing research on urban areas?

Guardian writes here:
http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/worldwide/story/0,,2153121,00.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/germany/article/0,,2152984,00.html

>From the first article:
"Dr B is alleged to have used, in his academic publications, "phrases
and key words" also used by a militant group, among them "inequality"
and "gentrification"."
and
"The police found it suspicious that meetings occurred with German
activists in which the sociologists did not bring their mobile phones;
the police deemed this a sign of "conspiratorial behaviour"."

Also:
"He's not actually accused of writing anything inflammatory, but seen
rather to be intellectually capable of "authoring the sophisticated
texts" a militant group might require; further, our scholar, "as
employee in a research institute has access to libraries which he can
use inconspicuously in order to do the research necessary to the
drafting of texts" of militant groups, though he hasn't writtten any."

This too, is obviously a question of national security. According to a
Swedish newspaper this paragraph 129a in German law is equivalent to
the Patriot Act or Danish anti-terror legislation, so that's also
interesting.

To keep it short: stay stupid and always bring your mobile. How to
remember the second part while keeping up the facade of the first I do
not know, but there will be a way.

--Amelia