[pp.int.general] Request for common press release

Jan Huwald jh at sotun.de
Wed Sep 5 21:34:06 CEST 2007

Hi Pirates,

I request a common press release of the European pirates to the following
topic. I would come forward to write a first draft, but before I'd like to
hear your thoughts abut:

Today in Germany a future terror attack has been "prevented". After this, not
only German antiterror fundamentalists praised their roadmap deeper into the
surveillance state, also Franco Frattini did. In contrast to local
politicians his voice may also be heard in your media.

Frattinis speech:
http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=SPEECH/07/505&format=PDF&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

The contents of his speech are:
* balance "fundamental right to security of citizens" against "other
fundamental rights ... including privacy and procedural rights"
* set up a central explosives database
* criminalize deployment of instructions related to building bombs and
terrorism
* use PNR data within Europe for prosecution & prevention
* claims that EU is as much target for terrorism as USA => argues that we need
to adopt their level of surveillance/control
* complains about resistance against anti terror measures in parlament, etc.

My comments about (and possible content for the press release):

* balance "fundamental right to security of citizens" against "other
fundamental rights ... including privacy and procedural rights"
-> it is not suitable to balance one right (anti terror measures) against
_all_ other; it is an offense to subsume privacy under "other rights"
-> the right for security is no fundamental right, if it is compared with
individual freedom, equality in front of the law and human rights at all;
security is the buzzword used to outpace every human right, not protecting
any of them

* set up central explosives database
-> I have no general problem with it but this depends on them implementation
-> the measure is only of limited use as explosives can be built using
chemicals available in average households
-> I think we should drop this point

* criminalize deployment of instructions related to building bombs and
terrorism
-> this will criminalize publishing scientists and security researches as
their researches might be used by terrorists (as almost any technical or
scientific progress)
-> information for building bombs is contained in every basic chemistry book
and can be deducted by individuals even with a limited chemical _or_ physical
knowledge
-> using secure channels such information can always be transmitted; the law
will not prevent those who actually plan attacks

* claims that EU as much target for terrorism as USA => argues that we need to
adopt their level of surveillance/control
-> FUCK UP. we need to engage personal rights not the prevention state. I
think our point is clear here

* use PNR data within Europe for prosecution & prevention
-> US No Fly list have shown that those instruments are used to punish the
opposition and have absolutely no effect in terror prevention
-> we can not tolerate collection profiles of the movement all individuals;
this always has to be limited to single persons (individual surveillance) not
the entire population

* complains about resistance against anti terror measures in parlament, etc.
-> we thank for that democratic attitude and complain that the resistance has
been broken in the case of IP data retention

I request for your comments.

Regards,
Jan Huwald
Political Secretary of the German Pirate Party