[pp.int.general] sign, translate & release press release on Frattini

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 01:14:46 CEST 2007

On 15/09/2007, Mårten Fjällström <marten.fjallstrom at piratpartiet.se> wrote:
> To be specific the editorialising text between the quotes is citing
> Europol (because that is a source that can not be claimed to be soft on
> terrorism).
>
> If this is the statistics in question (and it is the attributed source):
> http://www.europol.europa.eu/publications/TESAT/TESAT2007.pdf
>
> Islamic terrorism has one case (separatism leads with 424, total 498)
> during 2006.(p.14) During 2006 is critical there, I find no number given
> "since 2001".
>
> So I have changed it to (change words or phrasing marked here with #)
>
> "
> According to Europol statistics as of spring 2007, there was one confirmed
> islamist terrorist attack in Europe #last year#. With arrests at more than
> 200 islamist terrorist #suspects# in 2006 #alone# the european police
> forces has proved to treat this #seriously#. But is this not just prove
> that the hard line is working?
> "

Ah yes. "Where do Muslim terrorists fit in all this? The Muslim
extremists were responsible for a single attack in Germany. On 31
July, two suitcases packed with explosive devices were placed on board
regional trains in the Cologne area. The devices failed to detonate.
Two Lebanese nationals were subsequently arrested and charged."
(http://www.newstatesman.com/200705210023)

The same article does however state that we could boost the number of
arrests to more than 400, because apparently most of the arrested
alleged terrorists are not reported as arrested because they are, as
on Guantanamo, enemy combatants.

I stand corrected. I interpreted the Europol report as saying that the
attack had been aborted before it occurred. My apologies.

/amelia