[pp.int.general] sign, translate & release press release on Frattini

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 02:04:02 CEST 2007

On 15/09/2007, Natsu <piratenatsu at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/9/15, Amelia Andersdotter <teirdes at gmail.com>:
> > The Madrid attack, no. Nobody accepted responsibility for those
> > attacks. Terrorism is not mindless killing. It's a political
> > manifestation. If they truly believe that they are martyring
> > themselves it would be a poor idea not to make people know.
> >
> > At least, that is what I know from Swedish media. If you have other
> > information, I stand corrected.
>

> Wait wait wait wait... In Spain, there is a constant fight between the two
> main political parties about the "who did it" of those attacks. It is
> generally considered that the islamists did it. However, there are some
> fishy aspects of the investigation too. So, I'd need to have this
> information cleared... No Swedish media has accepted the 11-M attacks as
> being responsibility of Islamists? I know you just said that, but I'd like
> to know if there is a general consensus among the media, or if there are
> dissident voices. Those attacks had an inmense impact in the elections that
> were held three days later. I have been reading so much contradictory stuff
> in my own country that I hardly know what to think myself. If you could
> point out some sources about what the Swedish media have published and the
> conclusions they've drawn from the data, I'd be very grateful. I was shocked
> in my chair when I just read your "actually, no".

I don't think there was ever any consensus or any conclusions made.
The news just died. They reported that there was a bombing, then they
said it was islamists but that it hadn't been confirmed, and then
there was investigation and then it was old news and nobody cared.

Consensus is that it is Islamists. But as you say that this has not
been confirmed. When I talk about confirmation, I expect it to be
proved beyond reasonable doubt. It doesn't make a lot of sense to make
yourself a martyr if no one knows. If Islamists did it in the name of
Allah, someone would have accepted the blame. No one did.

/amelia