[pp.int.general] [Vrijschrift-Kern] no copyright levy for printers: decided by German Supreme Court

Jan Wildeboer jan.wildeboer at gmx.de
Tue Apr 22 09:23:02 CEST 2008

Reinier Bakels wrote:

> I guess Germany is a forerunner in levies, and such developments are really frightening, even though the printer decision was OK.

Yes. Today our wonderful GEMA celebrates its 100th birthday. GEMA(music)
and VG Wort(literature) managed quite well to get us levies on:

- CD-R(W), DVD-R(W)
- Cassette tapes
- Photocopying machines
- Fax machines
- Scanners
- Multifunction printer/Scanner/fax
- etc.

However, the good thing about the levy is that wrt machines it is a
one-shot thing. You buy the machine and the levy is included and after
that you are free (in the natural borders of private copy use) to use
the machine for as many copies as you want.

It is not an ideal system, but it has limited the claims of giant
copyright infringement that needs compensation quite effectively in the
past.

HTH

Jan (living in germany)