[pp.int.general] Purpose of copyright

Richard M. Stallman rms at gnu.org
Mon Aug 25 19:50:05 CEST 2008

Professor Gordon of Boston University argues that the UDHR does not
imply that authors are entitled to copyright -- that this is a
misinterpretation of the UDHR.  I think she recently wrote about this,
and I could ask her if she has something ready to send you.

Neither the UDHR nor the US Constitution is immune to disagreement.
What they do is show the positions that have been officially adopted
at various places and times.  There is no doubt that many have said
that copyright should balance authors' interests with the readers'
interests; we have all seen this, and we don't need the UDHR to prove
that.  Nonetheless, we don't have to agree with that position.

In http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/misinterpreting-copyright.html you
can read my arguments for rejecting that position.