[pp.int.general] Purpose of copyright

Carlos Ayala aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Sun Aug 24 18:01:34 CEST 2008

----- Mensaje original ----
De: Reinier Bakels <r.bakels at planet.nl>
Enviado: domingo, 24 de agosto, 2008 16:46:17

> Incidentally, European
"author's right" is different from American "copyright". The latter is more
> oriented towards society, the former to the "author". Which in practice is often
the publisher.
> Where it all goes wrong

If the US "copyright" model is the right one and the "author's rights" -nevertheless, the UDHR standard- the wicked one, why do all these things happen in USA?

- filesharing does not exist in USA -neither private copying in a wide sense, but a kind of backup copy according to AHRA Section 1008-
- a woman fined 9,250 $/song due to non-commercial filesharing
- ASCAP forcing Girls Scout to pay or stay quiet -considering singing around a campfire as a copyright infringement-
- US public offices like US-CERT make use of public money to launch campaigns against filesharing, threatening citizens with consequences of non-commercial sharing of copyrighted works

I can with these evidences -and I would offer many others-, beyond a reasonable doubt, that US copyright regime fails as well as EU regime in securing citizen's rights regarding culture, and that stating US copyright regime more oriented towards society would be an unaccurate statement. Regards,

                                                                 Carlos Ayala
                                                                 ( Aiarakoa )

                                             Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman

Correo Yahoo!
Regístrate ya - http://correo.yahoo.es